Play Advocate - Fixed Term 20 Hours per week - Selwyn District Council
The Sport and Recreation team is responsible for delivering world class recreation, sport and play outcomes for the Selwyn District's residents and visitors. Whether it's operating the Selwyn Sports Centre, Selwyn Aquatic Centre or delivering active recreation programmes and events to the public, the Sport and Recreation team aims to keep everyone engaged in their physical and mental wellbeing journey.
Selwyn is one of the fastest-growing districts in New Zealand. We have a fantastic quality of life, great communities, and a thriving economy. Our Council works actively with residents to provide the services and facilities that help our communities to thrive and grow. Our facilities are based in Rolleston which offers free onsite parking, an enviable family lifestyle, outstanding local facilities and an easy drive to the ski fields, rivers and hills that make up Canterbury's stunning landscape.
About the role
This new role to Selwyn District Council will be varied in its duties. From liaising with the major projects team on play opportunities as part of a town centre project to activating play in a reserve space with a community group, through to establishing a team of ‘play champions', this role will be the internal voice of play. Maintaining relationships with key stakeholders is a key part of the role and the ideal candidate will be confident in enhancing these relationships and bringing others along on the journey. This role is fixed term for up to two years with funding from Sport New Zealand.
To be successful in this role we are seeking the following skills and experience:
- A can-do attitude with a desire to promote positive community engagement.
- Minimum of 3-5 years practical experience in fitness/active recreation/sport/play health promotion/community development
- Project management experience (experience coordinating several projects / events simultaneously)
- Relationship Management skills are essential to this role, as you will connecting with Sport Canterbury's' Regional Play Systems Lead to improve quality play outcomes for tamariki/children and rangatahi/young people in Selwyn.
What we can offer
For several years Selwyn has been experiencing rapid and sustained economic and population growth. With this growth comes a vibrant community, fantastic facilities, and exciting career opportunities!
- Great work-life balance with the flexibility to work in with your commitments
- Life insurance
- Wellbeing and volunteer leave
- Free parking
- Three days paid leave between Christmas and New Year
- Discounts with local and national businesses
- Career coaching and development
- We are a vibrant team so a love for working collaboratively is a must, great communication skills and the ability to teach others how to get the best out of systems.
- Can you demonstrate your resilience when operating with others, do you have excellent communication skills and a good sense of humor?
- If you are looking for a rewarding position and you enjoy being a part of fun friendly team- then we want to hear from you!
Our values are important to all of us and represent the way we work:
- Be a good human
- Be brave
- Think differently
- Better together
- Make it happen for Selwyn.
We value the safety of our young people and therefore appointments for this role are subject to a satisfactory safety check including a Police vetting process.
Selwyn District Council honours Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
We are committed to working with our Treaty partner to deliver on our obligations under Te Tiriti o Waitangi.