Board Appointments 2021
Recreation Aotearoa is seeking applications for three Appointed Board Members to play a vital governance and oversight role in keeping people active, healthy and connected through recreation.
Recreation Aotearoa is the voice of Recreation in Aotearoa, representing all professionals in the industry and empowering our members to deliver the quality Recreation experiences, places and facilities, that fuel a more active, healthy and connected NZ.
The Recreation Aotearoa Board's responsibilities include overseeing the implementation of the strategic plan and achievement of outcomes, tracking the progress of management in achieving strategic outcomes, controlling finance and expenditure and the development of Board policies.
The Recreation Aotearoa Board is made up of 4 member elected positions and 3 appointed positions. The aim of the appointed positions are to fill any knowledge or skill gaps on the current Board.
The available positions require different skills and attributes, detailed below:
Skills and Attributes
We are seeking three appointed Board members and have used a skills matrix to assess the knowledge and skill gaps of the current board.
The highly desirable skills and attributes we are seeking include:
- an experienced Director to support the organisation's goal to better reflect the principles of Te Tiriti O Waitangi. You will tautoko our commitment to: Participation - ensuring equal participation at all levels of Recreation Aotearoa, and that Māori have input into decision-making that directly affects them, Protection - Tikanga and Te Reo are respected and fostered within Recreation Aotearoa and Partnership - Tangata Whenua and Tangata Tiriti working together in the governance and management of the organisation.
- knowledge of and established relationships within the outdoors sector would be highly regarded;
- knowledge of and established relationships within a Regional Sports Trust would be highly regarded;
- prior experience as a director, trustee, or in other leadership and governance roles;
- the ability to see the 'big picture' and identify potential trends and challenges;
- understanding of education and training, particularly with respect to adult education, would also be highly regarded;
- knowledge of and/or experience working in the recreation environments Recreation Aotearoa operates within: aquatics and facilities, parks and open space (including conservation and the environment), community recreation, and outdoor recreation;
- a broad range of skills, including some of the following: financial, legal, marketing and communications, technology, HR, and advocacy;
- knowledge and experience of community-based programmes, commercial sponsors, and government agencies; and
- the strength of character to maintain an independent point of view when others disagree.
Applications close at 5:00pm on 4 February 2021. To apply for this position, please send a CV and cover letter to Daniel Evans at email@example.com.
For an information pack including a role description and schedule of upcoming board meetings, please contact Daniel Evans on the above email address, or by phone on 027 594 4225.