GO Week | Win Backcountry Hut Passes with DOC
Enter Get Outdoors Week’s Photo Comp
This Get Outdoors Week, the Department of Conservation (DOC) is encouraging people to share their favourite DOC huts, campsites and lodges through an online photo competition. DOC is joining Recreation Aotearoa and others to encourage everyone to get out and enjoy nature safely. Time spent outdoors helps us connect with nature, celebrate the environment and look after our physical and mental health.
Get Outdoors Week photo competition is a great way to showcase your all-time favorite place to stay on the Public Conservation Land. Get your pics in the draw to win a six-month Adult Backcountry Hut Pass and one six-month Youth Backcountry Hut Pass. Entries are accepted throughout Get Outdoors Week.
DOC manages roughly 14,000 km tracks, 950 huts, and over 280 campsites across New Zealand, as well as more than 30 private lodges, cabins and cottages. These provide unparalleled access to some of the country’s most incredible natural landscapes and heritage sites.
Whatever your age or ability, there is a trip out there that’s right for you. Here are some top tips for finding your next adventure:
- Be realistic about your skills and experience. There’s nothing wrong with being a beginner or wanting to take things easy. Picking a track that’s not too long or difficult for you will help make sure you have a fun and safe experience.
- Think about different ways to spend time in nature. If long walks aren’t your thing, then you can still enjoy time in nature in other ways. Picnics, a relaxing afternoon on the beach, bird watching, biking – find ideas at Things to do: Parks and recreation (doc.govt.nz).
- Have a goal but work your way up to it. Got your eye on a particular track? If it’s more challenging than anything you’ve done before, plan some training walks.
- Use the filter functions on the DOC website. The DOC search function lets you filter by walk length and difficulty.
- Chat to your friendly local DOC Visitor Centre. The staff there know heaps about walks in the area and will be able to help you pick one.
- And of course, pack well, whatever the adventure, learn more on what to pack at Walking and tramping gear lists (doc.govt.nz).
A range of DOC huts and campsites are bookable, so you can guarantee your place for the night. If you’re heading out, follow the Land Safety Code to keep yourself and your group safe and make the most of your trip. Check with the local DOC Visitor Centre and DOC website for alerts and updates before heading out as the weather is very changeable. Be aware that there could be storm or flood damage from earlier this year to tracks and facilities. Please be patient and take extra care while the maintenance work is being carried out.
- Department of Conservation place to stay Places to stay: Parks and recreation (doc.govt.nz)
- Get Outdoors Week photo competition Daily Prizes | Get Outdoors Week
Port Jackson Campsite, Credit Shellie Evans