Parks Asset Planner - Palmerston North City Council
Why join us?
- Working with us is a rewarding way to support your community, work with a great team, and develop your career.
- We do more than just pay you a salary too. We have awesome benefits to support you including 5 weeks annual leave, flexible working and training and development programmes
- We have fun, too, including through our team celebrations and active social club.
About the role
Do you want to plan the future of Palmy’s parks and open spaces? Do you want to ensure our parks support the community to be one of the most active in New Zealand?
In this role you will be providing parks planning advice and developing the supporting information and programmes for the Parks Asset Management Plan. This will ensure that council provides an appropriate level of recreation facilities for its community now and in the future, in a sustainable and cost-effective manner.
In this role your focus will be:
- Investigating community proposals for ongoing use of reserve land, assessing strategic and policy fit and legislative considerations.
- Lead and/or participate in the development and reviews of Reserve Management Plans.
- Responding to requests from the public for new assets, and asset replacements, ensuring that the underlying issue or opportunity is clearly identified, the request is feed into the appropriate planning process, and that the customer receives timely feedback on their request.
- Evaluate information held by the Parks and Logistics Division on asset performance, levels of service and demand, identifying existing and forecasting future service gaps
The role is part of a small team planning the development and renewal of city parks, recreation and sports facilities. To be successful you will be enthusiastic about recreation and play, with an ability to investigate new opportunities and identify the best option. The ability to write clear and concise plans will be your super-power!
You will enjoy working with people and have a natural ability to build and maintain strong relationships, including working collaboratively to achieve win-win outcomes.
In addition, you will have:
- A tertiary qualification in recreation management, resource management planning, asset management or a related discipline.
- An understanding of the Reserves Act 1977, Local Government Act and Resource Management Act, would be an advantage, but not essential
- Ability to think at a long term, strategic level
- Ability to identify and critically assess options and identify solutions that best meet the needs of the community
Palmerston North (or as we like to call it, Palmy) is a growing, innovative and exciting city. With small city benefits and big city ambition, Palmy has secured its place on the map as a creative and exciting city, with leading innovation and developments! We’re proud to be a city that includes, supports, connects and uses the talents of the whole community in our pursuit to provide a connected and safe community. We’re also a future-focused city who cares about enhancing our natural and built environment. Our future looks bright, it looks vibrant and progressive.
What we offer:
- 5 weeks annual leave and a community service day every year
- Additional long service leave after qualifying periods (5,10, 20, 30 and 40 years)
- Parental leave benefits, including paid partner's leave, and top-up payments
- Free access to our on-site fitness equipment
- Health insurance subsidies, free annual flu vaccinations and subsidised health and eye checks every 2 years
- Confidential counselling service
- Te Reo Māori classes and waiata group
- Professional memberships and assistance with study leave and fees
- Corporate training and development programmes
- Various wellbeing spaces, including parents’ room and wellness/prayer room; we value our employee experience
Please apply via our website.