Democracy & HR Support - Central Otago District Council
We are seeking a Parks Officer (Planning) to join our team looking after the beautiful parks and reserves in the Central Otago district. Based in Alexandra the Parks Officer (Planning) reports to the Parks and Recreation Manager and is responsible for providing assistance in the preparation of strategies, policies and plans that relate to open space, sport, and recreation. This includes reserve and activity management plans, recreation strategy, cemetery and play strategies and development plans
We are looking for a team player who can ensure open space plans, policies, and strategies are developed in a timely manner that provide for effective long-term development and management of open space areas within the Central Otago district.
As the successful applicant you will have:
- a tertiary qualification in a parks, sport, recreation, policy, landscape architecture or relevant discipline
- experience in a park, policy or landscape architecture role
- knowledge of the practical application of the Reserves Act 1977
- a good understanding and knowledge of policy and legislation relevant to recreation and open space
- a strong understanding of the policy development process and the ability to develop strategies and policies in parks and recreation
- experience and/or knowledge in open space, sport or recreation areas is preferred but not essential
- strong verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating the ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders at various levels
- the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- the ability to work under pressure whilst maintaining high levels of accuracy
- a demonstrated sense of urgency to meet deadlines
- well-developed and proven interpersonal and relationship building experience
- sound analytical, practical and report writing skills.
- a current full driver’s licence
What we offer:
A role with us will enable you to develop and enhance your skills and experience. This is a great opportunity for you to join our diverse and inclusive culture and be part of a great team thriving in a collaborative fast-paced environment. We will reward you with a competitive remuneration package, flexible working arrangements (by application), training and ongoing development, and the opportunity to advance your career within our organisation. The role will initially be a two-year fixed term, with the possibility of an extension. Council would consider the possibility of this role being a part-time permanent position which would be negotiated with the preferred candidate.
If you are interested in working in a challenging but rewarding environment, apply today!
A copy of the job description may be obtained via Council’s website www.codc.govt.nz/vacancies
All applications should include a cover letter, CV and address the key selection criteria. Make sure your cover letter is specific about your experience and what you are looking for now.
Applications should be addressed to Lisa Wallis, Human Resources Advisor at Central Otago District Council, PO Box 122, Alexandra 9340 or sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close 5pm on Wednesday, 20 October 2021.