The New Zealand Parks Agencies Managers’ Group is made up of a network of New Zealand parks agency managers and parks business leaders who meet regularly to assist each other and to progress sector issues.
This New Zealand Recreation Association (NZRA) special interest group has been created to enhance and increase the significant range of environmental, social and economic benefits to the community that parks provide. It operates as a ‘network within a network’, with membership fees enabling an expansion of NZRA’s existing services to the parks sector.
In addition to standard NZRA member benefits, Parks Agency member organisations can also seek specialist services or products:
- A forum to share problems and seek advice and support from experienced colleagues
- An opportunity to shape advocacy on the sector’s behalf
- Access to credible, timely, reliable and relevant information and advice on parks challenges and best practice
- Assistance with peer reviews, Green Flag accreditation, and sector performance measures
About the New Zealand Parks Agencies Managers Group
The New Zealand Parks Agencies Managers’ Group was established in 2015.
- Meet informally and communicate regularly to connect with national and international organisations and best practice
- Provide a network for members to share information, experience and expertise that they can apply to their portfolio or to progress the direction of the sector
- Ensure New Zealand’s parks’ future is assisted by NZRA to link with other international organisations to provide the one place in New Zealand that articulates the protection of parks, improved management of the natural environment and increased benefits for the community through a unified parks sector
- Improve management, protection, understanding, appreciation and use of parks and the natural environment through best practice, innovation, sector standards and benchmarking
- Enhance the community’s understanding of the natural environment, its enjoyment of parks and the role and importance of parks
- Assist, support and provide advice to NZRA on behalf of the parks sector to allow NZRA to strategically work with government and key organisations
- Support each other on current issues in a timely and meaningful manner
- Develop and promulgate sector standards as required and provide advice to NZRA that will enable it to develop measures for parks sector performance
- Share research and information undertaken by individual members
- Assist NZRA through task groups and working parties looking at topics such as amalgamations, connections with the business sector, and philanthropy
- Help NZRA to foster links with key international park agencies and other bodies
- Keep member agencies informed about relevant topics through regular communication
- Organise Peer Reviews and facilitate Green Flag park accreditation assessments
- Hold a minimum of three Parks Managers meetings per annum, with one in the North Island, one in the South Island and one before or after an NZRA fixed event