News & Guidelines
NZCCC news and media releases
Cemeteries Week is about demystifying cemeteries and crematoria and celebrating these sites as enduring, welcoming places for people to connect with communities, to recognise and uphold different cultural traditions, and to embrace heritage. It helps raise awareness of the important work that goes on behind the scenes to preserve these key public spaces for our communities.
Magazine articles, columns and editorials
• Play Among the Tombstones, an article from LG Magazine
• Cemetery Management: A delicate balance, an NZCCC article which featured in the February edition of Local Government Magazine.
Guidelines and Standards
This section features information on standards and benchmarking, best practice, and links to other relevant information.
Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga: Archaeological Guidelines Series
Health and Safety
• WorkSafe has released excavation guidelines to manage health and safety risks associated with excavation work. These guidelines cover good practice and requirements under the Health and Safety at Work Act. Read the guidelines.
• NZRA delivered a webinar on the impacts of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, presented by NZRA Community Recreation Project Manager Esther Bukholt, WorkSafe Technical Support Services Manager Richard Steel, Brent Maru from Sport Tasman and Hamish Kynaston, a partner at one of New Zealand's leading law firms Buddle Findlay. Watch a recording of the webinar.
Standards and professional development
• The Horticulture Qualifications Framework includes information on cemetery qualifications and helps illustrate the professional development pathway for cemetery workers. View the Framework.
• NZCCC produced a webinar including perspectives on the use of cemetery management software from Hutt City Council and cemetery management software provider Enabling. View the webinar